Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 21 February 2012

The Playstation Vita: An Honest Verdict

So, we've come to it, my friends. The official North American launch of the Vita begins (in my time zone) in roughly four hours, and I know a few gamers are eager to get their hands on one, so I'll just jump right into it: do I think you should buy one?

First of all, I want you to know that over the course of the week, I've been playing mine quite a lot. I'm through Uncharted completely already, and have completed most of both Rayman and Escape Plan. I've also been playing a lot of Dissidia, which was a PSP title I always wanted to try that I decided to download onto my Vita. I know it inside and out. I've had to do a hard reset (holding down the power button for 20 seconds) twice over the course of the week because the system froze up, once while playing Uncharted, and once while it was supposed to be shutting down. As soon as I head back to school, I'll be looking into to this to see if I need a new model, but I haven't come across that many accounts of the same happening to others as of yet, and honestly, my PS3 freezes sometimes, and my 360 did too. I'm not hugely worried about it, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it to you. Keep your receipt handy, should you decide to buy one.

I talked about the 'new hardware honeymoon period' as well, and I have to say that, if that's what I'm experiencing, it's still not over. The Vita remains just as sleek, shiny, and easy to use as it did when I first got it, with one minor addendum: I did notice that I tend to hold it funny, so my left hand starts to hurt a bit with extended play, but that's only with really extended play, and realigning my grip always solves it. Again, this is something somewhat personal, but I want to throw it out there as a possibility. The hardware is good, but it's like dual analog control when it first surfaced: it's something you have to adjust to.

Having enjoyed the games I've been playing as much as I have, I have no qualms about recommend the system based on the software side of things. The launch lineup, as I've said a million times over the last week, started strong, and only looks to be getting stronger. Gravity Rush, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Disgaea, Mortal Kombat, all these are titles I'm looking forward to picking up within the next month. I don't know if the release lineup will continue as strong as it started, but I have high hopes that this is a pretty good indication of what's too come.

I think that sums up my synopsis pretty well. So, my final verdict? Here it is: if you were considering buying the Vita already, I give you a hearty 'go for it!' I can guarantee you'll find something to love, some feature to enjoy, some game to play that will make you glad you bought it. If the intention was already there, don't hesitate.

If you were looking into a handheld system, not sure whether to buy a 3DS or a PS Vita, I would give the Vita a tentative edge. I can't say for sure, since I don't have a 3DS, and it really comes down to what kind of gamer you are, but we've seen what Nintendo handhelds are like before. They did it with the Gameboy, the Gameboy Advanced, and the Nintendo DS. At this point, Nintendo doesn't really have any surprises to offer in the handheld market. Sony, however, got off to a shaky start with the PSP. I don't think that truly showcased what they wanted their handheld system to be, and it seems like they're eager to rectify that with the Vita. The pre-launch week was certainly a good indication of that. So, if you're stuck, not sure which to pick up, I'd urge you to strongly consider the Vita. It's a little pricier, but I believe that it has the potential to be the stronger handheld system given a little time, even if it won't ever match the 3DS in sales.

If you weren't considering the system, then you have a reason. Maybe you're not looking for a handheld, have a problem with Sony, find it too pricey, don't believe it can succeed, whatever. If you weren't going to buy it, nothing I personally can say is going to change your mind. What I will say is that it is definitely worth considering. Whatever your reasons are for not wanting it, I'm sure there is some aspect of the Vita that still interests you. And should the prices on it and its accessories drop to the point where you begin to consider it, then I would buy it. Or at least make friends with someone who has one so that you can decide for yourself. Anyone who enjoys playing video games or just likes technology can find something about the Vita to love, I'm sure.

So, there you have it. My opinions on the Vita itself, and the games that I've picked up for it so far. Now that all that's done with, I really don't know where I'll go next, but I'll think of something. Until then, peace out, internet.

1 comment:

  1. I really wana thank you for providing such informative and qualitative material so often.
    playstation vita

    ReplyDelete